Now, when it comes to vacuums, saying one vacuum works for all situations is a bit like claiming there is an Oscar De La Renta wedding gown that fits all sizes, for just $400,000.
First of all, why on earth would anyone spend that kind of money on a dress and secondly if they did why would they opt for a dress that isn’t tailor fitted for them.
Now, vacuums are just like dresses in that there are specific vacuums designed to fulfil specific needs, Shop vacuums for instance are like hard core household vacuums that were made for bigger messes that a regular vacuum can’t handle, like a construction site or word works,
Ash vacuums on the other hand are completely different and are designed specifically to deal with their namesake, ash.
But what makes them so different? And more importantly which one is a better fit for you?
Well, why don’t we draw ourselves a comparative guide and help you figure it out?
Here we go!
- Versatile: designed for cold ash pickup from wood stoves, pellet stoves, fireplaces, fire pits, and BBQ grills
- Easy to clean: reusable fine dust cartridge filter resists clogging and is easy to clean
- DUAL FILTRATION: Pre-filter pleated filter to clean ashes dust-free
- Powerful: 4 amp motor generates up to 500 W of suction power. Cord Length (feet.) 8.5.Voltage:120 V
- ❤【LARGER CAPACITY】Stanley SL18116P Wet / Dry Vacuum has a larger capacity over 22 L, makes small clean-up jobs a breeze for you as you don’t have to empty the bucket frequently any more
- ❤【VERSATILE & POWERFUL】Thanks to the 4 peak HP motor, this vac offers powerful enough suction needed to almost any cleanup jobs in vehicle, jobsite, workshop, garage, basement, van, house, etc
- ❤【3 in 1 FUNCTION】With this versatile vac you can vacuum both wet liquid spills and dry debris, dust, saw, dirt or blow leaves away(use blower port), just organize the hose and power cord on top handle and side wraps after using, conveniently
- ❤【FARTHER CLEANUP】With over 16 ft of cleaning reach(6 ft hose, 10 ft power cord and 3 pieces of extension wands) it’s easy to do a farther cleanup for you without unplugging the unit, while it has four swivel casters for convenient and easy manoeuvrability
- ❤【WHAT YOU GET】Stanley SL18116P Wet / Dry Vac x 1, 1-1/4"x6’ super flexible hose x 1,extension wands x 3, gulper nozzle, floor nozzle x 1,crevice nozzle x 1,foam filter x 1, dust bag x 1, reusable dry filter x 1, 12-Month Warranty
What is an Ash-Vacuum?
If you happen to have a fancy fireplace, or if you’re someone who takes summer barbeques way more seriously than the average joe, one thing that you are going to have is an ash vacuum.
Unlike regular household varieties, the ash-vacuum is known not only to safely collect ash, the interior design and filter is designed specifically to deal with ash dust, and ash.
- 2.5 Gallon Polypropylene Tank
- 2 Peak HP Motor
- 10 Ft. Cord With Cord Wrap
- Blower Function – Easy Conversion
- On-board Accessory & Hose Storage
Well, for starters, ash dust can generate heat, and unfortunately regular home appliances can’t properly deal with wood ash or charcoal ash, be it at a woodstove, a fireplace or at barbeque pit.
Because they aren’t designed to deal with the heat, you home vacuum is liable to be a fire risk, and if any heated ash does accidentally go in, is liable to burst. It sounds dramatic but, the truth of the matter is, what seems like ‘just a little ash’ can actually burn through motors, and melt the rubber or plastic of the vacuums hose, as it drops itself into the dirt bin and ignites a fire from the inside.
And that’s just one side. Sheetrock dust is also known to kill your vacuum by damaging the motor and ergo the inside of your vacuum. Your thousand dollar Dyson, will be reduced to shreds thanks to the ultrafine dust, and yes that applies even if you have HEPA-style bags.
A household vacuum is designed for light household use, anything else around the house, like a woodwork project or ash, you are definitely going to need to invest in an Ash vacuum.
hat makes an Ash vacuum different?
1. Structure and Design:
Well for starters, it’s designed differently. Unlike the home brand versions ash vacuums have a thermal hose that is made up of rubber-coated steel and is heat resistant, which mean in case there are any stray embers lying around, ash vacuums are designed to deal with them.
Even the nozzle of the vacuum is made of metal and as such is safe to use on warm ash or fire-chambers, that still retain a bit of heat. It is worthy of note however that steel hose aside, it is always recommended that you wait for your ember or ashes to cool before you try to go in and clean up.
But heat isn’t your only enemy, you also need to be careful of the dust particles, ash dust unlike normal dust has a tendency to go straight for the motor.
Ash Vacuums are prepared for that as well though, a special filter in ash vacuums designed not only to handle warm ash but also to ensure it isn’t rereleased into the home through the exhaust.
3. Size and Dimensions:
But those are all on the inside, on the outside, ash vacuums also have the added benefit of almost always being super compact and easy to use, so that they can fit in around your fireplace or workstation and come out when you need it.
It’s also super affordable too! Sure, there are high end versions available, but for the most part, ash vacuums sell for under $200, which isn’t too much considering it’s ensuring that you and your family stay safe and warm, on those cold winter nights.
What is a Shop-Vacuum?
So, what about Shop-Vacs? What exactly are they?
A shop vacuum is a special vacuum that is commonly used in construction and woodwork. Generally, shop vacuums are used where you need a high-power vacuum to take care of huge amounts of dirt or debris, without damaging the motor.
In fact, shop vacs are designed with high power suction, strong hoses and large canisters not only to hold in the debris collected but also to help move around the vacuums, like a wheeled bucket, so that they can be used to navigate large spaces without much trouble.
Okay, but if an ash-vac is hard-core with steel pipes and all, why do we even need a shop vac, and why can’t we just use an ash vacuum to do everything?
- Portable 6 Gallon wet/dry vac ideal for small clean-up jobs
- Powerful 4 peak horsepower motor provides just the amount of suction needed to most any cleanup job
- Ultra durable rubberized casters allow smooth swiveling for ease of movement
- 10' power cord with cord wrap helps reach almost any cleanup need. Ideal for smaller jobsite cleanups
- Built-in blower port powerful enough to blow sawdust and debri from most any workshop
What are the advantages of a Shop-Vac?
1. Structure and Design:
Well, for one, shop vacs are nearly indestructible, they can take in almost anything, nails, screws, wood you name it! The main objective of the machine is to clear up major debris, so that you have a clearer space to work in.
This is also why they don’t really have much of a filter, in fact most shop vacs don’t have any filters whatsoever, they are used to suck up the major spills, both wet and dry, not to ensure your house is filled with clean air.
This of course means that without a filter and a big metal hose, using a shop vacuum instead of an ash vacuum would be a recipe for disaster, just as trying to such up nails with an ash vacuum would be more than a little pointless, not to mention difficult since they are generally much harder to manoeuvre than conventional vacuums.
3. Size and Dimensions:
Unlike Ash Vacuums Shop-Vacs, have a bigger body and are more appropriate for corporate or construction use than for a single user home. If you’re stocking up for a dorm room however a Shop-Vac would actually be a good idea.
Shop-Vacs are also more expensive than ash-vacuums, but can be used for a wider range of purposes than an Ash-vac, which is why they are considered more useful in many cases.
So, what is the bottom line?
Well, simply put if you need something to deal with your ashes, barbeque pit or otherwise, and you don’t particularly want to blow up your house, or burn it to the ground, you need to go for an ash vacuum.
If you want something that can clean up big ugly messes, on a regular basis, you want the shop vac. If you want one that does both, you’re slightly out of luck, but you can always invest in a broom and go full DIY!