Whenever you think about treating yourself to a snack, popcorn is the first thing that comes to your mind.
Undoubtedly it is the most affordable and delicious snack treat that nobody gets enough of. Whether you are at movies or having a Netflix party at home, popcorns have always been the constant companion.
However, buying popcorn from your nearest stores can be a bit costly affair as more and more brands are emerging with their flavorful variants. So, preparing a tub of popcorns at home with the right ingredients is the right way to go about it.
When making this tasty snack at home, one of the unavoidable ingredients is oil. It is important to understand that the type of oil you choose, will reflect on the taste of your popcorn. You need to be extra cautious while picking up oil from a health perspective.
Top 12 Best Popcorn Oils Reviews
Your popcorn will come out as a delicious snack only when you use the right oil while making it. Popcorn oils are responsible for the amazing flavors you get in your favorite movie snack.
Hence, whenever you are making them at home, you need to use the right popcorn oil that will make your end product tastier and healthier.
To ease your trouble of finding the right oil for your popcorn, we have prepared a quick review of the 12 best popcorn oils in the market that will help you make a decision.
Check out these reviews and choose the best popcorn oil for your next snack party.
1. Snappy Butter Burst
If you are looking to make some butter popcorn for your next part, Snappy Butter Burst can be a treat for you. Highly rich in rich buttery flavor, Snappy Butter Burst is probably the best oil to pop your kernels.
It is a perfectly healthy alternative to all the other oils in the market. Whether you want to pop your popcorn or just want to drizzle on the top, Snappy Butter Burst is the perfect pick for you.
It is not packed with trans fat or color that can impact your health. The rich color you see in the oil comes from the beta carotene found in carrots. So, you can rest assured regarding the preservatives or any sort of chemicals.
Also, you don’t need to do any melting after buying the product. It is ready-to-use under room temperature.
This amazing oil is also suitable for cholesterol patients as it doesn’t add to the fat, and you can safely use it in your popcorn.
- A highly rich buttery flavored popcorn oil that you can never say no to.
- The oil has no added preservatives, trans fat, color, or any other harmful chemicals.
- The oil is naturally colored using beta carotene that is primarily found in carrots.
- Highly beneficial for cholesterol patients.
- You don’t have to melt or refrigerate the oil, as it can always be used at room temperature.
- Particularly ideal for popping and topping the popcorn kernels.
2. Oriville Redenbacher’s
Do you crave to eat those extra buttery popcorns available at the movies? Well, you can bring that taste home by using this buttery flavored oil.
Orville Redenbacher’s buttery oil is the best product in the market that will perfectly pop your kernels and make the fluffy and light.
You can also use it with Orville Redenbacher’s kernels and drizzle some of the oil on to get that extra buttery flavor. As this oil is rich with all the essential ingredients, your kernels will never be hard.
This oil will make your kernels sizzle with the buttery rich flavor. It is a gluten-free oil that has no added preservatives and color to maintain quality.
You can also use this oil for microwave cooking as well. In a nutshell, Orville Redenbacher’s popcorn oil is the best option to pop some buttery delights at any hour.
- A healthy and tasty popcorn oil with no preservatives, trans fats, or color.
- It is a gluten-free oil for those who are allergic.
- The oil is best to make your kernels fluffy and light every time.
- You can actually taste the buttery flavor while popping kernels in this oil.
- It is an ideal popping and topping oil that you can use as a popping and topping oil.
- This oil will work best and taste great with Orville Redenbacher’s kernels.
3. Chosen Foods Pure Avocado Oil
Next up on the list is a product from a premium brand that has showcased its credibility in the industry. Chosen Foods has been a leading producer of oils in the industry, and this amazing Avocado oil can be the right companion for your snack dates.
The manufacturers ensure that all the production process is conducted well to meet the standard guidelines and provide the best oil. It is a healthy oil that will positively affect your diet.
This avocado oil has some great health and nutritional value with GMO-free contents. Pure Hass avocados that come right from Mexico are used in making this oil.
You can use this oil for other purposes apart from popcorn popping. Apart from the health benefits, this avocado oil can withstand extreme heat up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It is a 100% pure Hass avocado oil that offers great health benefits along with great taste.
- The oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, making it ideal for cooking and popping popcorns.
- The health profile of the oil is certainly commendable. It is made with GMO-free content.
- You can use the oil for stir-frying, salads, sautes, and baking.
4. ZOE Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Olive oil is beneficial for human health on some levels. Whether you topically apply it or consume it internally, olive oil can provide you with a bunch of health benefits.
There are different types of olive oil available in the market. If you are fed up consuming the greasy olive oil, you would love the lighter flavor of the ZEO extra virgin olive popcorn oil. Now pop your kernels in the goodness of olive oil.
Whether it is the enriched flavor or the striking aroma, kernels popped in this olive oil will certainly be unique on its own. ZEO extra virgin olive oil is a perfect balance of olive, avocado, and fresh basil.
It is a blend of native Spanish olives that give a unique flavor profile to this popcorn oil. Another important ingredient of this popcorn oil is the balsamic vinegar that adds to its unique flavor profile.
- A healthy and aromatic olive oil that will make your favorite snack tastier and nutritious.
- The oil is produced in the ideal growing conditions that have enriched each ingredient.
- The oil is super light and can be used for other cooking purposes as well.
- It is among those oils that are natural balsamic vinegar.
- All high-quality ingredients from Spain and Greece to process this oil.
- This oil is safe, sustainable, and authentic, making it a trusted product in the market you can get.
5. Franklin’s Gourmet Coconut Popcorn Oil
We all know coconut oil as a nutritious and tasty oil that has been used for cooking and topical application. How would you like it if your popcorns are popped in that delicious coconut oil?
Well, you can give a gourmet touch to your kernels with the amazing Franklin’s Gourmet Coconut Popcorn Oil. It is processed with 100% coconut oil, this particular product completely vegan.
Another feather on the cap of this oil is that it is gluten and trans-fat-free that makes it ideal for not only popping kernels but also for frying purposes.
It is a versatile oil that you will definitely love for its amazing health benefits. The container and the wide mouth makes it easier to conveniently get the last drop of oil with ease.
You will hardly find such popcorn oil in the market that is healthy, tasty, and multi-purpose.
- It is completely vegan coconut oil, making it ideal for frying.
- The oil is processed with 100% coconut oil that you can use for other purposes like cooking and frying.
- This coconut oil trans-free and gluten-free to remain considerate about your health.
- Apart from all the health contents, the oil has 23% vitamin a/1 tbsp.
- You can also use this creamy, rich coconut oil instead of butter.
- This coconut oil can be used on-site, popcorn maker, or microwave.
6. Kernel Season’s Movie Theatre Popcorn Oil
Everyone craves to prepare that theatre like popcorns at home. But at times, they fail to do so due to the lack of ingredients. Well, you can do it now with the Kernel Season’s Movie Theatre Popcorn Oil that promises you theatre-like snacks right in your home.
The extra buttery flavor of the oil is the standalone feature of this product. If you decide to pop your regular kernels in this oil, you can easily turn the regular popcorns into premium and delicious popcorns.
The oil is gluten-free and Kosher certified that says a lot about its credibility in the market.
You don’t have to worry about putting up the weight by using this movie theatre popcorn oil. With a single bottle, you can pop kernels almost 28 times, so you don’t have to worry about running out of oil.
- Adding theatre-like flavor to your regular popcorns, it is an amazing oil.
- It is gluten and trans-fat-free, which is a highly healthy option for you.
- This oil has a Kosher certificate that certified the safety and reliability of the product.
- You will get 28 snack servings with a single bottle, so don’t worry about the limits.
- This quality oil is prepared with sunflower and soyabean oil.
- The color of the oil is added with natural annatto; no artificial colorings.
7. Wabash Valley Farms Popcorn Oil
An oil that gives the taste closed to the theatre-like flavor is this Wabash Valley Farms Popcorn oil. It is the perfect blend of coconut oil and butter that gives a nice texture and unique flavor to the popcorns. Beta carotene found in carrots is responsible for the rich color of this popcorn oil.
It is a trans-fat free oil that you can easily use for other cooking purposes. The kernels popped in this oil are fluffy and light, just like the way you want. With a scoop of Wabash Valley Farms Popcorn Oil, you will get a tub of butterly snacks at your table.
You can also try adding different flavoring agents to the kernel to enhance the flavor and aroma.
Easy preparation is a major highlight of the product. With 100% refined coconut oil, this amazing oil will make a great companion for the popcorn kernels.
- Made with 100% refined coconut oil and butter for that theatre-like flavor in your popcorns.
- The oil is trans-fat free, so you do not have to worry about your health needs.
- The color in the oil comes from beta carotene, a natural ingredient found in carrots.
- This high quality oil will ensure that your kernels explode faster.
- It comes in a small and easy-to-handle bottle, so you don’t have to be messy with your prepping oil.
- The oil color may change with time as it comes from a natural agent, but the taste will always remain the same.
8. Coconut Popcorn Popping Oil
Yet another amazing coconut oil on the list is this popcorn popping oil. This particular coconut oil is made for popping, so you can expect some dedicated specifications from this oil. It is one gallon of coconut oil that you can use sufficiently for your snack needs.
It is important to note that you can only use it with a paragon popcorn machine for the best result and great taste. This can turn out to be a drawback as you can’t use it on the stove or microwave.
If you yearn for that golden-colored amazing kernels, then this is the right product to go for. The aroma and flavor of popcorns made from this coconut oil are certainly unmatched.
You don’t need to refrigerate the oil in order to safe preservation. Your snack will taste just like from the movie theatre. Bring this coconut oil home to get the theatre-like popcorns for your snack party.
- Amazing coconut oil that is specifically used for popping and topping.
- You can use it with a paragon popcorn machine to get your kernels in the right texture and flavor.
- The popcorns made in this oil are golden, fluffy, and super light.
- The coconut oil gives a movie theatre-like taste to your popcorns, so you never have to go to theatres for your favorite snack anymore.
- It gives the perfect aroma and taste to your popcorns like never before.
- It is a trans-fat free and non-GMO coconut oil that is less greasy and more tasty.
9. Amish Country Canola Popcorn Oil
If you are someone who likes their snacks lighter, then Amish Country Canola Oil is just made for you. It is a delicious and healthy alternative popcorn oil that is also low on the calorie count.
Being gluten and GMO-free, it is a safe and clinically approved oil that takes care of your health. You can safely eat your favorite snack made with this oil without worrying about putting up weight.
There are no tree nuts or peanuts in this oil, so you don’t have to be worried about your allergies and safely consume the oil.
The oil is compatible on the stove, popcorn maker, and microwave. You will also get an eBook of 15 Avocado popcorn recipes that you can try at home along with this high-quality oil.
- It is a gluten-free and non-GMO canola popcorn oil.
- You can make lighter, fluffier, and low-calorie popcorn with this oil.
- All the ingredients are tested and verified in the lab to make it completely safe for consumption.
- There are no preservatives, seeds, or cholesterol in the oil.
- The oil also has a Kosher certificate stating its authenticity.
10. Baja Precious Sunflower Popcorn Oil
Apart from coconut, olive, and avocado oil, one more ingredient makes health beneficial oils, i.e., sunflower. This amazing sunflower oil is processed with pressed sunflower seeds.
The major highlight of this oil is that it is high in oleic oil. As it is a pressed oil, it is guaranteed that this oil is a non-GMO product.
A galore of monosaturated fat, Baja Precious Sunflower Popcorn oil is a great healthy alternative to your regular oil. This oil is also perfect for making popping kernels or high heat cooking up to 440 degrees Fahrenheit.
Another noteworthy specification of this sunflower oil is that it is a lightweight product that comes in an eco-friendly bottle. The non-drip retractable pourer ensures that you do not waste anything.
- This sunflower is high in oleic fats that are essential for your body.
- It is a non-GMO product as it is processed by pressing sunflower seeds.
- The smoking point of this sunflower oil is 440 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The sunflower oil is low on saturated fats and does not have any cholesterol element.
- It comes in a lightweight and BPA free eco-friendly bottle.
11. Dutchman’s Canola Popcorn Oil
Yet another canola popcorn oil in the list boasted with amazing features and specifications is Dutchman’s Canola Popcorn Oil. It has a delicious buttery flavor to it that can turn your regular kernels into a tube of mouth-watering fluffy snacks.
The rich color of the oil comes from the beta carotene that is found in carrots. You can enjoy theatre-like fluffy and golden popcorns at home with this amazing canola oil.
There are no preservatives and artificial coloring used in the product, so you do not have to worry about its authenticity.
It is a healthy choice for making popping your favorite snack as it is low in saturated fats and is non-hydrogenated. You can use it both as popping and topping oil at the same time; you will be surprised by its flavors.
- Delicious and mouth water popcorns can be made with this canola oil at home.
- It is a lightweight and aromatic oil that will add flavor and texture to your popcorns.
- There are no chemical colorings in the oil. Beta carotene is used to give a richer color to the oil.
- The product is trans-fat-free and non-hydrogenated, which makes an excellent alternative for popcorn oil.
- It is a healthy choice for all those trying to cut down their calorie intake without compromising the flavor.
- You can use the oil for both popping and topping the popcorns.
12. La Tourangelle Canola Popcorn Oil
Last but not least, a premium popcorn oil that can simply enhance the flavor of your popcorn, La Tourangelle is a great brand you can always prefer.
For decades, La Tourangelle has been producing high-quality oil for cooking. For over 150 years, the brand has been supplying cooking oil that meets the standards of nutrition.
There are plenty of benefits to consuming La Tourangelle canola popcorn oil. Apart from its incredible taste, the nutrition profile is also commendable.
The brand rightly understands the need for healthy snacking, that’s why they have created this canola oil that makes light and fluffy popcorns.
The canola oil used in the product is extracted with craftsmanship and natural methods. The oil has the right balance of Omega 6 and 3 fats, low saturated fats, and polyunsaturated fats, and more.
- It is 100% natural canola oil that will add to your health apart from treating your taste buds.
- It is a non-GMO product so it is safer for healthy consumption.
- It has a balance of Omega 6 and 3 fats, saturated fats, unsaturated fats, and more.
- The canola oil is extracted using high-quality craftsmanship.
- It is a perfect companion for healthy snacking with your best kernels at home.
What To Look For In A Popcorn Oil?
Here are a few aspects you need to take into consideration while picking up the right popcorn oil for your use:
Type of Oil
As there are different varieties of popcorn oils available in the market, your first decision should be to choose a type.
Some of the commonly used popcorn oils are coconut, avocado, canola, olive, and sunflower. Take a look at the properties of the oil before picking.
Everyone is cautious about their weight and calorie intake. You would not want to put on some extra weight by adding flavors to your snack with oil.
So, you must always check the calorie content of the oil. Ensure how a particular oil can contribute to your health.
High saturated fat can cause health troubles, so you must stay away from popcorn oils that have saturated fats. Instead, look for low saturated fats oils like avocado, canola, wall seeds, and olive oil. Check out low saturated fat oils that will add to your health.
If you like your movie-time snacks to be buttery delicious, then you must be looking for oils that have synthetic or natural butter flavor.
For more crispy popcorns, you can go for gentle and transparent oil. The buttery flavored popcorns give a theatre-like popcorn taste that you can easily make at home.
There are oils that are suited both for popcorn making and regular cooking. Buying these products is a beneficial option as you do not have to spend money on different oils.
You must be able to use your popcorn oil both for popping and other cooking purposes as well.
The brand of the popcorn oil makes a significant difference to the quality of the oil. Some renowned brands in the market are providing quality products for years now.
You must incline towards them. Check out the reviews of different oils that are famous in the market and weigh their benefits before choosing one product.
Some Common Popcorn Oils You Can Prefer
When it comes to choosing the best oil for popcorns, there are plenty of options that can confuse you. Here are a few oil options you can take into consideration.
Even the majority of movie theatres use this oil to prepare those fluffy and textured popcorns. It is a perfect oil for all the popcorn aficionado. It is rich in flavor and great for your health.
Olive oil is being used as a salad dressing and staple cooking oil for generations. It has some amazing nutritional benefits as well that make it ideal for popcorn popping and topping.
It is light oil for those who prefer their snacks lighter. This oil burns quickly that helps in preparing the kernels faster than any other oil. It has got a subtle taste and transparent feel.
It is a beneficial oil that you must use for everyday cooking. Popping your kernels in sunflower oil will make them crispier and crunchier. Sunflower seed pressed oil is the best option you can go for.
What Are The Risks For High-fat Content in Oils For Popcorn?
Whether it is for popcorn or not, using high-fat oils in your cooking is risky for your health. There are plenty of health issues that can arise due to the use of high-fat oil in popcorns.
Cholesterol is the most prominent health issue that has been recorded after the usage of high-fat oils.
These oils will cause cholesterol to build up in the arteries that further leads to heart diseases and even strokes. It contributes to high LDL cholesterol that is not at all good for your heart health.
It is best advised to avoid high-fat oils for popcorn making. It is a basic snack that almost everyone eats and enjoys.
No one would want to spread a welcoming aisle for diseases by simply snacking. So, whenever you are buying a popcorn oil, you must check the fat content on the label and ensure it has low-saturated fat that is safe for your health.
Oils like coconut, avocado, extra virgin olive oil, and canola oil are considered the best choice for low saturated fats. You can go through different premium popcorn oil brands in the market that will give you multiple options to choose from.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much oil should I use for popcorns?
Two tablespoons of oil with three kernels would be the ideal ratio for making popcorns. Cover the pan and heat the oil over medium to high heat. Don’t forget to add 1/8 teaspoon of salt to ½ cup of kernels.
2. Can I put oil in a popcorn machine?
Yes, today, a majority of popcorn oils are compatible with a machine. Oils like coconut, sunflower, canola, and vegetable oil are perfect for it.
3. Which oil is best for using with a popcorn machine?
As you know, the type of oil you use will affect the taste of your popcorn, so you need to be very careful while choosing the oil. The most commonly used oil for machines is coconut oil.
The Bottom Line
Popcorns are always the preferred snacks for the party. They are crunchy, delicious, and great companions for the party. You can accompany them with drinks and other eatables, but popcorns will always manage to stand out.
Have you ever thought about why these snacks are so delicious and have a unique taste? Well, it is due to one of the primary ingredients, i.e., popcorn oils. These are flavored oil that enhances the taste of the popcorn and makes them tastier than ever.
As there is a wide collection of oils in the market, it becomes quite difficult to pick anyone from the lot. That’s why this popcorn oils guide was to inform you about the options and come important things you need to consider while buying.
You can consider these top 10 popcorn oils and start your purchase. Always remember the oil is what makes the popcorns a yummy snack treat.