You may or you may have not heard the name “Toto” before! If you haven’t, let me tell you before we venture any further into this article: Toto is the world’s leading manufacturer of world-class toilets and toilet seats in the world.
If you are an architect, associated with the internal furnishings of a house, or if you have been involved in the construction of any building, ever, you might be familiar with this name. “Toto” is popular all over the world for the modern and technologically advanced toilets they have been designing and manufacturing for years.
In fact, their toilets are so beautiful, as well as efficient, they have made it into pieces of art for customers to take home.
However, it is completely understandable if you get confused about some of the best Toto Toilets this company has to offer its customers. This article can guide you into finding out the best choice for you, and help you understand all the other aspects of a Toto toilet.
Why should you prefer a Toto Toilet?
First things first: why should you choose a Toto Toilet? There are hundreds of companies around the world manufacturing stylish, innovative and affordable toilets for your home and business. What makes customers choose these Toto toilets over others?
First of all, if you are concerned about the environment, Toto toilets are the perfect choice for you. While other toilets can be wasteful, you can save up to 13,000 gallons of water in your home every year simply with the right toilet.
This ultimately means saving hundreds of dollars in water bills, but most importantly, conserving water. Not all manufacturers are this conscious about preservation of water, but Toto toilets have always maintained a good standard in using just the right amount of water needed with every flush, and not a single drop more.
Secondly, it has a wonderful and efficient flushing system. With other toilets, you might have to flush a few times until you are completely satisfied with the end result.
But with all Toto toilets, a single flush is all you need to get rid of everything unwanted inside your toilet bowl, as well as any kind of dirt and debris that may have accumulated there. As a result, you end of saving a huge amount of water every time that you don’t need to flush twice or thrice after using the toilet.
Third, it's practically noiseless. These toilets don’t make the loud flushing sounds that are so common with most other brands out there. Compared to them, all Toto toilets have a silent flush system so that the people in the next room or the next both won’t be able to hear the sound.
If you find the sound of toilets flushing embarrassing or annoying, Toto toilets would be perfect for your home.
Finally, these toilets are extremely easy to maintain. They can be a little expensive compared to the other brands you can find in the market, but after installation, you won’t need any kind of repair or maintenance done on them for decades.
Toilets manufactured by Toto almost never gets any leakage or damages, and even if there is a problem, repairing them are always easy. Toto toilets also happen to be more durable than the other brands; this is an one-time investment that will last for years to come.
Do you need any more reason to choose a Toto toilet for your home?
Top 4 Best Toto Toilets For the Money
Now, the next step is to decide on a particular model, which can be confusing. Below, you can find information on the four most popular and efficient toilets from Toto, as well as their features and strengths.
1. TOTO CST744SL#01 DRAKE 2-PIECE ADA TOILET WITH ELONGATED BOWL
This is one of the most popular models available from TOTO, a classic toilet that is both elegant and efficient. The bowl is elongated which makes it easier to sit on the toilet for a long time; you won’t get uncomfortable if you have to spend a long time on this toilet in the mornings. The height is universal, the same height you find in most of the toilets around the world.
The tank is 12” in depth, and only 1.6 gallons of water is used in every flush. Thanks to the jet flushing action, a single flush is all you need after using the toilet. Besides, the G-Max flushing system is very quiet and won’t embarrass you when you flush your toilet.
The water surface is 10⅜ inches x 8¼ inches, and the trap diameter is 2⅛ inches. The water pressure of the Toto Drake-2 is 8 psi, and the toilet comes with a chrome tip lever and is made from vitreous china.
- Made from vitreous China
- 10⅜ inches x 8¼ inches Water surface
- 2⅛ inches trap diameter
- Comes with a lever tip and a less seat
- 12” depth of tank
- 1.6 gallons of water with every flush
- 8 psi water pressure
- 12” rough-in toilet seat
- Fully glazed trapway is computer designed
- 3” wide flush valves
2. TOTO CST454CEFG#01 DRAKE II 2-PIECE ELONGATED 1.28 GPF UNIVERSAL HEIGHT TOILET
The TOTO Drake-II is an elegant and stylish 2-piece toilet, that has an extremely powerful flushing system. Only 1.28 gallons of water are washed away with every flush, which is significantly lower than the average, i.e. 1.6 gallons per flush of other brands and models beside TOTO.
This toilet from TOTO has a CEFIONTECT glaze, which means that the bowl has a lubricious quality to it, and it doesn’t allow particles to gather on the toilet bowl. With one flush, your toilet becomes clean every time you want it to be, without the added necessity of washing it every now and then.
Besides, the TOTO Drake-II comes with a TORNADO FLUSH Technology that cleans the whole bowl in one flush, no matter how much unwanted debris is in it. This technology saves both time and water. The powerful dual nozzle gives the whole toilet a centrifugal rinse that is not common in other toilets in the market.
The TOTO Drake II has been designed to fit the universal standard of height, which makes sitting on it extremely comfortable. If needed, you can spend hours on this toilet and not feel uncomfortable in the least.
- Elegant 2-piece toilet
- Uses only 1.28 gallons of water in each flush
- CEFIONTECT coating keeps toilet clean
- Powerful TORNADO FLUSH technology cleans toilet in only one flush
- Fits universal toilet height
- Powerful dual nozzle helps keep toilet always clean
- Saves time and water
3. TOTO DRAKE ELONGATED BOWL AND TANK, COTTON WHITE
The TOTO Drake has a more modern and contemporary look than rustic, and can fit well with any latest bathroom decors. This is a 2-piece toilet that is extremely aesthetically pleasing, as well as efficient and comfortable to use.
The TOTO Drake comes with the G-Max flushing system - both powerful and quiet. You can just flush once and be sure there will be nothing unsavory or unsanitary left in your toilet bowl. The flushing system of TOTO is one of the quietest in the world, but far more powerful than the lesser, more common brands.
The flush valve is 3 inches wide, which is larger than the other more conventional toilets, which are usually 2 inches wide. The water surface is rather large, as well.
- 2-piece toilet set
- Elegant, aesthetic design
- Powerful but quiet flushing system
- 3 inches wide flush valve 4.
- 2⅛ inch trap way, fully glazed
- Large water surface
4. TOTO MS604114CEFG#0 UltraMax II One-Piece Elongated
The UltraMax II from TOTO has a universal height that people from all over the world are comfortable with. This toilet also comes with an extremely powerful flushing system that is quite advanced compared to other brands and models.
Eah flush in this toilet gives out only 1.28 gallons of water, which is much lower and much more environment-friendly than most other toilets in the market.
This model of toilet from TOTO also has a SoftClose toilet seat with it, which makes the seat close softly and gradually instead of being slammed down on the toilet.
This is a simple yet very important feature of the UltraMax II One-Piece, since toilet seats slamming down on toilets could be an annoying sound. This particular model of the best toto toilet includes one of these SoftClose seats that are not available with other models.
Besides, since this toilet has a universal height standard, everyone can be extremely comfortable on it, for a long period of time or a short one,
- Can produce 1.28 gallons per flush
- Universal height position
- Water saving facility
- One-Piece Elongated Toilet
5. TOTO MS964214CEFG#1 Eco Toilet
This particular model from TOTO - the MS964214CEFG - comes with a double cyclone flushing system. It is a low consumption 1.28 Gpf/4.8Lpf toilet that harnesses the power of water and gravity and creates a much more effective cleaning experience.
In other words, your toilet will be clean with just a single flush, no matter how much waste you have to dispose of. This TOTO Eco toilet uses only a little amount of water to clean your toilet bowl; after each flush, you won’t be able to find any dirt, debris or bacteria lingering inside the bowl.
The design on this one-piece toilet bowl is also extremely comfortable and ergonomic; the lid closes gradually instead of with a thud, because of the built-in SoftClose hinge system. A one-piece toilet bowl that comes fully assembled and ready to install, this toilet has been built with high-quality, high-impact plastic that is durable and solid. Once you install this toilet, you won’t need to do any repairs to it or replace it for a very long time.
- Made from high-quality, high-impact plastic
- Height of bowl: 17¼-inch; length of bowl: 28⅛-inch
- Height of tank: 27¾”-inch; width of tank: 17¾-inch
- One-piece toilet bowl
- Comes assembled and ready to install
- Double-cyclone flushing system
- Comfortable and ergonomic design
- Skirted toilet bowl design and a high profile tank
- Soft closing toilet bowl lid
- Single flush cleans everything
- Uses very little water for every flush; eco-friendly
- Chrome tip lever
- Elongated front bowl for comfortable seating
6. TOTO MW614574CEFG#1 Elongated Toilet
This is another one-piece toilet bowl-and-tank set with an elongated toilet bowl, extremely comfortable to use. This model has been especially designed to conceal the power cord behind the toilet and the washlet water supply, so that you get an elegant toilet in your bathroom.
This TOTO toilet uses approximately 1.28 gallons of water with each flush, which is just enough to clean away everything you want to discard. The TORNADO FLUSH system will take care of everything in the toilet bowl, including the invisible dirt and bacteria inside.
With this TOTO toilet, you get the WASHLET+ technology, which lets you choose the temperature and the pressure of the water. The rear and front water pressure can be both controlled according to your preference, whether you want hot or cool water, as well as the pressure of the flow.
You can even choose between a “pulsating” and an “oscillating” stream option, which is very important to some people. Besides, the water heating system is tankless, which means that you won’t ever run out of warm water. The water supply is continuous and instantaneous; whenever you want water, you won’t have to wait for the tank to fill up.
- One-piece toilet bowl and tank set
- Comes with the WASHLET+ toilet seat technology
- Designed to hide power cord and water tank
- Uses approximately 1.28 gallons of water with every flush
- Single flush can clean everything
- Cleans dust and invisible bacteria inside
- EWATER+ technology cleans the water bowl and wand after every use
- Unlimited and continuous water supply with tankless operation
- Option to choose temperature and pressure of water
- Option to choose between “pulsating” and “oscillating” streaming option
- TORNADO FLUSH system cleans toilet bowl and makes it glaze with every use
- Beautiful and elegant design
- Comes ready to install
- Height: 28.3 inches; width: 16.5 inches; length: 28.6 inches
How to install a Toto toilet?
Installing a toilet in your bathroom may seem like a daunting task if you neither have experience not training to do it.
In fact, most people prefer to hire a professional plumber to do the job. Sometimes, a plumbing job comes free with the purchase of every TOTO toilet, so you won’t have to pay for the task.
However, if you neither get free plumbing services with your purchase of a TOTO toilet nor have the option to hire a plumber, it is indeed possible to do the job yourself. With the purchase of every new TOTO toilet, you get a very detailed and simple Installation guide and Owner’s Manual that is easy to follow.
By following all the steps described in the Installation guide, you can easily install the toilet in your bathroom, just like a professional.
Here are all the steps you’ll need to follow to install any TOTO toilets.
- First of all, it is very important that you clear all the debris away from the hole in the ground where you need to attach your toilet. The metal or plastic ring around the hole is known as a closet flange, which also needs to be cleaned. Sometimes, you can find stray hair, soap foam and other unwanted dust and dirt in the holes which all need to be taken out.
- Next, put in the mounting bolts on the closet flange. These mounting bolts are what’s going to hold the toilet in place after you install it. The head of the bolts need to be put on the closet flange and the threads should be facing upwards.
- Unpack the toilet bowl and turn it upside down. Do this on a carpet, a rug or a piece of cloth. Placing the toilet bowl on the floor might put some scratches on it.
- Install the wax ring, which comes with the toilet bowl, on the bottom of the bowl. Turn the toilet bowl right side up.
- Carefully pick up the toilet bowl and put in on the hole on the ground, so that the holes at the bottom of the bowl lines up with the mounting bolts on the ground.
- When the toilet bowl is lined up, press it down so that the wax ring on the bottom of the toilet bowl and the closet flange is sealed together.
- Place the nuts on the mounting bolts and tighten them, using the right tool. Be careful not to add unnecessary pressure as it can crack the body of the toilet bowl.
- Next, it’s time for the water tank. Pick up the water tank and place it upside down on a piece of cloth or rug. Tighten all the nuts and gaskets as instructed by the Manual, and do the same to all the points that will be connected to the toilet bowl.
- Turn the water tank on the right side and place it on the toilet bowl, exactly as it should be. If you place it perfectly, the bolts of the toilet bowl will align perfectly with the holes in the water tank.
- Attach the bolts of the tank to the bolts of the bowl. Tighten the bolts as much as you can, but don’t use too much pressure as the body may crack. You can use a wrench to do the tightening. This is the final step of installing the toilet bowl and water tank.
- Now, you need to hook up the water tank to the water supply. Depending on the type of connection you have, you’ll need the necessary tools and supplies for this step. You might have a plastic closet supply, a braided hose or a chrome closet supply, as these are the three most common options.
- The water supply should be connected to the bottom of the tank with the pipe provided with the TOTO toilet, where the ballcock is located. This should be tightened with your hand only, not with a wrench. Using a wrench to tighten this connection can put pressure on the plastic thread of the ballcock and break it.
- Open the supply valve which you’ll find on the wall; this will fill up the water tank with water. While the water tank fills up, you need to install the toilet seat and lid to the toilet bowl.
- If you are using a regular toilet seat and lid, you need to make sure that both the lid and the seat matches the size of the toilet bowl. Usually the lid and the seat comes with the bowl but you can even buy them separately.
- Place the bolts on the toilet bowl where you can find the holes for the seat/lid.
- Tighten the nuts at the bottom of the toilet seat. Place the toilet seat on the toilet bowl and align them together. Use a screwdriver to connect the toilet seat to the toilet bowl, and use a screwdriver or a wrench to tighten the bolts between them.
- On the other hand, if you are using the WASHLET+ technology that comes with the TOTO toilet, the installation process can be a little different. In this case, you need to install the special WASHLET seat mounting bracket that comes with the toilet seat.
- Next, slide the WASHLET+ toilet seat on the bracket. You’ll hear a “click” sound when the toilet seat reaches the right location it is supposed to be installed. This is when you need to tighten the bracket.
- Connect the WASHLET+ hose to the water supply. For this type of toilet seat, you’ll need two water supply lines in your bathroom where you want to install your toilet; alternatively, you can install a dual connection faucet to the water supply on your wall so that the same line can provide water to both the toilet water tank and the toilet seat.
Plug the toilet seat to a power supply. This is another feature you’ll need in your bathroom if you want to use this kind of toilet seat: a power source. Once you plug in the toilet seat and turn it on, the LED lights on the seat will let you what to do.
Toto Toilet Maintenance tips for lost lasting performance
It isn’t very hard to maintain your best Toto toilet at home, neither does it take a lot of time. The main point to remember is maintaining your is that you need to keep it clean at all times.
Here are some other tips that can help you make sure your Toto toilet gives you years and years of use and long lasting performance, without much need for repair or maintenance.
1. Always Flush your Toilet
You need to always give your toilet a flush every time you have used it. Some people have a rather nasty habit of not flushing the toilet unless they have performed a Number 2 in it, which is not the right manner.
Even if you feel like nothing is left in the water, you should always give it a flush before you leave the bathroom. Even if you have not used the toilet but gone into the bathroom to take a bath or for a shave, it might be a good idea to flush the toilet once before you leave.
This might feel like a waste of water to you, but if you are using a TOTO toilet, you are already conserving water. TOTO toilets always use less water for a single flush compared to toilets of another brand, so you will not be wasting a lot of water.
Besides, it is good to give your toilet a flush sometimes even when you haven’t used it, to stop from any dust particles from accumulating inside the toilet.
2. Don’t use Bleaching Powder
Bleaching powder may leave your bathroom feeling clinically clean and fresh, they are quite harmful for your toilets. Bleaching powder is also extremely acidic, and the fumes are bad for your own health, especially for the sensitive lungs of children and small pets.
For toilets and bathrooms, for your health’s sake, it is always better to rely on cleaning detergents and liquid soap rather than bleach.
3. Use a Proper Toilet Cleaning Solution
For cleaning a toilet, the best product to use is a toilet cleaning solution. These solutions are made especially to deal with the kind of debris and pollution that has to pass through your toilet every day, and they are the best equipped to properly clean your toilets.
Any reputed brand of toilet cleaner will do, given they have the proper amount of disinfectants in them.
If you use any other kind of detergent instead of a proper toilet cleaning solution, your toilet might look clean and spotless, but you won’t be able to properly disinfect it, or kill the germs that are lurking inside, invisible to the eye. This is the reason that toilets should ideally, always, be cleaned with the right kind of cleaning agents: toilet cleaning solution.
4. Clean your toilet Often
If your toilet is used heavily - as in a public bathroom - it needs to be cleaned almost daily to make sure the internal parts are clean. If this is a toilet inside private home, cleaning it once a week, or twice a month, is enough.
However, it is important that there isn’t a long interval between cleaning your toilets, because there might be some deris hardening and solidifying inside the toilets - away from your eyes - that will be tough to clear later.
If you can clean your toilets twice a week, they’ll work without any kind of complaints for a much longer time.
5. Use Distilled Vinegar in the Process
Distilled vinegar is a great product in cleaning your toilet, and to make sure it is as germ-free as possible. You can use distilled vinegar in two ways.
You can pour distilled vinegar into the flush tank, and let it dissolve for around half an hour. After than, flush your toilets several times to make sure all the vinegar is gone. This will clean the flush tank without you having to take it apart and scrub it down.
You can also pour distilled vinegar into the toilet bowl, wait for a while, and flush it several times. Vinegar in the toilet bowl will work as a disinfectant.
Another way that you can use distilled vinegar is by putting it in a spray bottle, and spray it around the toilet, on the outer surfaces. These surfaces also contain germs that you can effectively kill by spraying distilled vinegar.
Give your toilet a wipe drown with a piece of cloth or paper towel after you’ve sprayed the vinegar. Doing this once a week is enough.
6. Use Baking Soda for a Non-chemical clean
If you are against using chemicals or toxic products in the house, a natural ingredient would be baking soda. Baking soda is non-toxic and inexpensive. Sprinkle a good amount of baking soda into the toilet bowl and wait for a few minutes; then, use a toilet brush to properly clean the toilet bowl and flush several times.
A baking soda alternative can be a good idea if you have pets in the house who are likely to drink from the toilet, or if you have children who are in the middle of being potty trained and might touch the toilet a lot.
7. Use some automatic toilet cleaning products
You can find a number of products specifically made to keep your toilets automatically clean. These are small cleaning products that can be attached to the sides of the toilet bowls or kept inside the flush tank; with every flush, liquid cleaning solutions will be released from these products, mix with the water, and automatically clean your toilet.
These products usually need to be changed once every two weeks or once a month.
8. Don’t forget to clean the toilet brush
Also, you need to always clean the toilet brush with a disinfectant after cleaning your toilet. Some of the germs may transfer to your toilet brush from the toilet bowl, and spread to the rest of the bathroom.
Cleaning the toilet brush under running water is a good idea, if you don’t want to use your hands. Also, spraying some chemical or homemade disinfectant on it would effectively kill all the lingering germs.
9. Always look for leakage
Leakages are rare in Toto toilets, but of course, there is always a possibility. If there is any sign of leakage anywhere inside, outside or around the toilet, call a plumber for their expert opinion and services. A simple leakage, if ignored, can turn into a bigger problem if not instantly taken care of.
10. Keep your Toilet seat down while flushing
Finally, a piece of advice that will help you keep your toilet free from germs: close the toilet seat before you flush. This is important because every time you flush your toilet, bacteria will be projectiled from the bowl and spread through the bathroom. Keeping the toilet seat closed before flushing will stop this from happening.
The best way to maintain your toilet and your entire bathroom is to clean it, well and often. The cleaner your toilet is, the more well maintained it is, the longer it will stay perfect without needing any kind of repairs.
Best TOTO TOILETS: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Is it difficult to install Toto toilets?
A. Absolutely not. Toto toilets follow the same basic rules of installations as any other toilet in the market. However, it is important that the installation is done by a professional who knows the techniques and has experience.
If the person installing the toilet isn’t experienced, there might be leakages later which will not be the fault of the toilets themselves.
Q. Can I use any toilet seat on my Toto toilets?
A. Definitely. Toto toilets are equipped to fit any standard 5.5-inch toilet seat. While you can buy Toto toilet seats in your Toto toilets, you can use any other toilet seats as well. However, matching the exact color can be a problem.
Q. What can I flush down the toilet, and what can I not flush?
A. There should be nothing flushed down the toilets except water, cleaning solution, human waste and paper towels. Anything else shouldn’t be flushed down or even throw down the toilet.
There are a number of things that we happen to, accidentally and unknowingly, throw down the toilets. These do not always clog the toilet immediately, but might become a problem much later when there wouldn’t be anything else to do to repair your toilets.
These common objects that we use almost every day in the bathroom that shouldn’t be flushed down the toilet are:
- Cotton buds
- Wet wipes - baby and facial wipes
- Cleansing pads
- Alcohol pads
- Cotton buds and cotton wool
- Cigarettes and cigarette butts
- Disposable nappies and nappy pads
- Toilet roll tube
- Tampon applicators
- Pieces of paper
- Dental floss
Q. What is the Universal Height Standard?
A. According to the Universal Height Standard, all toilet seats should measure between 17 to 19 inches above the ground from the floor. This standard makes it easy and comfortable for everyone to use these toilets.
All Toto toilets maintain the Universal standard of height and comes up to 17 to 19 inches above the ground, even though they have different designs.
The Universal Height Standard is also known as Comfort Height or ADA Compliant Height. The height needs to be maintained so under the Americans with Disabilities Act so that all disabled people can also use these toilets by themselves in public restrooms.
Q. Why do I need a SoftClose toilet seat?
A. You’ll need a SoftClose toilet seat if you don’t want your toilet seat to loudly slam down on the toilet. That can happen sometimes if the toilet seat is dropped and the sound that the toilet seat makes can be quite loud.
With a SoftClose toilet seat, the cover will come down slowly even if you happen to accidentally drop it, and only make a soft thud on contact, instead of a loud bang. Most people prefer a SoftClose toilet seat instead of one that will make a loud bang when dropped.
Q. Where are TOTO toilets made?
TOTO is an US-based company, but the toilets are actually made in a number of companies. These countries include Mexico, Vietnam, China, Japan and Thailand. Some of the models are also made in factories situated in the United States.
Q. What is special about a TOTO toilet?
One of the most special features of a TOTO toilet is its powerful flushing system, which can take care of all the waste in a single flush. These powerful flushes don't use a lot of water, but a single flush can give you the cleanliness you want.
Besides, a TOTO toilet is usually silent compared to the other brands, and doesn’t need regular maintenance or repair.
Q. How do I know what model I have?
Sometimes when you need to find a certain part of your TOTO toilet, you need toknow the model number of the toilet you are using. Even if you don’t have the paperwork and the Instruction Manual, you can find the model name and type from the toilet itself.
You can look for the model number and the color code of the toilet you are using inside the water tank. The numbers can be on the back wall of the tank, the right hand or the left hand side of the tank, but it will most definitely be somewhere inside the tank.
This is usually a three-digit number with a few letters; this is the model number. The letters and the digits might also be followed with a few more letters, depending on the model and the additional features of the toilet.
In TOTO toilets, you can also find the color code inside the water tank. This will help if you need to replace the toilet seat or the toilet cover.
Q. How long should a TOTO toilet last?
Typically, a TOTO toilet lasts around 10 to 12 years, but they might need a few repairs and maintenance every 2 to 3 years. These toilets are expensive, but they last longer than other brands, so TOTO toilets are worth the extra price.
A toilet is such a small part of your house, but no one can deny just how important it is. A toilet is not a part of your house you want to continuously think or worry about; rather, it is of paramount importance that you completely forget about it after purchase and install.
That can only happen when you have the best toilet in the market installed in your home, and what’s the best toilet that you can find? One of these best Toto toilets of course!
Toto manufactures excellent quality of toilets that are efficient, environmentally positive, aesthetically pleasing and require zero to minimum attention. One of these Toto toilets in your home can make a world of difference to your life, even if you don’t realize it.